The National Press Club Journalism Institute promotes an engaged global citizenry through an independent and free press, and equips journalists with skills and standards to inform the public in ways that inspire a more representative democracy. As the non-profit affiliate of the National Press Club, the Institute powers journalism in the public interest.
Journalism Institute leaders have charted a bold course for the Institute’s work in a new strategic plan that emphasizes enhanced support for working journalists, elevates press freedom in the eyes of the public, and prioritizes financial sustainability to do that work.
The 2021 Board of Directors approved the 2022-2024 Strategic Plan on Oct. 4:
Ensuring long-term financial sustainability & organizational independence.
- Diversify revenue streams so no source comprises more than one-third of the total.
- Fully fund programmatic and service ambitions.
- Examine the competitive landscape for beneficial collaboration and partnerships.
Clarifying who we serve and our sphere of influence.
- Expand and deepen the Institute’s connections across the country with news organizations and professional journalists, who increasingly see the Institute as an advocate and resource for impactful, representative journalism.
- Elevate the Institute’s profile as a premier source of training and support, known for helping journalism organizations strengthen and diversify their newsrooms and the communities they serve.
- Serve the public to improve information literacy and increase understanding of journalism’s value in a democracy.
Stating changes in journalism and the world because of our work.
- Journalists across the United States will be more skilled and supported in producing well-crafted journalism as a result of the Institute’s programs.
- Journalism organizations will be more diverse, equitable, and inclusive, as a result of the Institute’s programs. The work they produce will be more accurate, fair, and representative of the expanded communities they serve.
- Americans will more clearly understand the fundamental importance of an independent press, fact-based reporting, and civil discourse as a result of the Journalism Institute’s efforts.
Our actions, activities, and operations will be informed by core values, which you can find here.